Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Acorus gramineus

Posted by liquidamber newzone6a-MA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 5, 08 at 10:14

The nomenclature seems confused; A.g. pusillus/pussillius/ minimus and Aureus. Whichever, I'd like to grow a modest amount of both the green and golden varieties of the dwarf kind as groundcovers around bonsai. Extensive searching hasn't turned up seeds, so I'm guessing that the preferred means of propagation is division of rhizomes. Anyone have info on good cheap sources, techniques, rapidity of spread and division. I've already ordered two from Arrowhead, but I'll be wanting to buy some to establish a "mother" patch, I guess.
Thanks, Jeremy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Acorus gramineus

It is my understanding that it is not a good idea to add ground cover to bonsai trees. The roots of these plants will compete with the tree for limited nutrients in a small available area to the detriment of the tree. A patch or two carefully kept in check would be ok.
Moss is also not recommended for two reasons: 1) If you cover the whole surface with it, you will cut off much of the oxygen the tree's roots need. 2) If you let it climb onto the trunk of the tree you could kill the tree because, while on a tree in the forest moss is not a problem due to its size, tiny tentacles (roots?) penetrate under the bark. On a little bonsai this can lead to a peeling of the bark and the eventual death of the tree.
Krys

o
RE: Acorus gramineus, PS

Me again,
I just read my own message and there's an error: When I wrote "a patch or two carefully kept in check would be ok", that phrase was supposed to apply to moss. I inserted it in the wrong place.
I have no idea how agressive the roots of the plants you want may be but you should take great care.
Krys

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here