Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bonsai arboracola after only 30 years..

Posted by stanofh ca (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 27, 08 at 11:25

In more humid climates they banyon,here in Ca they stay single trunked.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
History..

Bought as a seedling in a 2" pot at Kmart in 1978. Survived our 1990 freeze of 22f outdoors,unprotected with total loss of leaf and small branches..the hollow you see on the branch is from that event. Now?,teeny,tiny, parrots roost in there...

o
RE: Bonsai arboracola after only 30 years..

Beautiful!

o

That's truly impressive.
Now please show us the teeny tiny parrots.
Krys

o

It's not nesting season here in the tropics.Noisy little buggers.You hear them squack from from end of the tree to the other..
Species Lepreparrotia. You never heard of them Krys?

o

Magnificent!

Any chance you could post a picture showing more of the branch structure and/or foliage? Thanks!

o

I will try.I can tell you that the leaves DO NOT reduce,and that sort of takes away from the look.On the other hand i do have a near decade (or more) 'Elfin' S.arboracola with small leaves.It has quite a ways to catch up to its older brother.It does not seem to have the strong root system of the species-not a bad looking plant-just not quite the same.
Post that too..

o
The whole plant and 'elfin' schefflera

Needs a bit of fertilizer.It also has been a few years since i root trimmed or added fresh soil.Its due.
The Elfin doesnt have the vigor of the species.This particular plant has had major damage from a few years ago when my dog jumped over it,then snapping a major branch that balanced the left side.You can see where the bend in the trunk ends and where the left side is missing.
I havent put as much care into this plant as i could have.It also has been in less than optimal light. So,if you have a real critique of it-no arguments here!It needs much reworking..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here