Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tanyag_gw

Ficus Benjamina

tanyag
16 years ago

Hello all. I have a ficus benjamina that is two years old. It is actually five separate trees that I fused together to create a larger trunk and larger canopy. The trunk is about 3/4" thick and 7" tall. If I include the giant roots that I have exposed above the soil level, it is about 10" tall. I know exposed roots are something one strives for, but these things are just not pleasing to me. All of the fibrous roots grow off these fat roots so I don't think I can just whack them off. Right now, I have the big roots spread over a 3"diameter rock that is half buried in the soil (not for root over rock purposes but rather to fill in the empty space when I tried to expose these roots- you can barely see the rock). Is there a way to shave or chisel these roots back without harming the plant. I am out of wound paste so won't be making the cuts until I get some in, but I'd like to get an idea of what I am going to do to change the look of this thing. I don't know how to post pictures or I would. Might I also try air layering right above the thick roots to get more fibrous roots and then cut the thick ones off?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions