Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do they survive?

Posted by sf_rhino (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 12:31

Typical post on this forum: "I just bought a [ficus/juniper/unknown] bonsai from the store and it is dying. Please help!"

[Insert photo of dead/dying plant in a soggy 90% peat brick with glued-on pea gravel.]

Typical response: "Try changing the soil, watering when the plant needs it, giving an appropriate level of light, etc."

My question is, how do these plants survive and look so nice when they are at the store in such bad media? Do they water less, use better lighting? It seems strange to me that so many bonsai (and houseplants for that matter) do fine at the store and die at home...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do they survive?

Because they rotate out the dead stock & replace it with new plants

The bonsais you see at stores like WalMart & HomeDepot etc. are c**p

Just because you put a cutting or plant in a small pot doesn't make it a bonsai
LOL

o
RE: How do they survive?

Right on dethcheez, there is a term for these plants, called Mallsai, not Bonsai. People that sell this c--p have only one interest, that being the MONEY in your pocket. They could care less if the plant lives or dies.

The best advice I can give you is this, if you purchased or was given one of the Mallsai, take it out of the pot it's in and plant it in a training pot. (large pot) with good Bonsai Soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here