Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bonsai F.benjamina after only 17-20 years or so

Posted by stanofh ca (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 28, 08 at 12:39

Again,they dont get all super jungly here with aerial rootage.Almost none as a matter of fact. I planted it on some limestone rock sold for fish aquariums as "base rock".Old,soft as a sponge,weightless, and very picturesque. I have other trees mounted on that type of rock.Moss will cover it muy pronto.Informal Bonsai.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bonsai F.benjamina after only 17-20 years or so

Are you TRYING to make us miserably jealous? Your trees are gorgeous!

o

Thank you Luci. Just trying to share the joy-lol.

o

Superb! I never thought I'd look forward to being 20 years older, but if all I do now produces that, I can't wait!

o

I looked at your picture again this morning and noticed that your roots have the same bulbous look that mine has now, only my trunk is much much smaller. Did your root right about the soil level get bulbous like that and the rest of the tree caught up or did they all kind of grow together? My trunk is tiny compared to the huge system of roots at the soil line - disproportionately so. I have been thinking of trying to get feeder roots higher up and whacking off these big roots, but if the rest of the tree will eventually catch up, I think I can be patient. Any ideas, stanofh?

o

Take heart all. Since this particular tree was bought as a bonsia from the exclusive world renowned grower.. Home Depot.lol. In a tiny 6x9 pot mounted on a small rock-long since swallowed up by the rootage. That large rock i added as i said..and it's almost invisible now.
Let the tree catch up,Tanyag. It will once you lift the tree or keep it contained. Lifted roots slow down..the balloon ficus roots are always underground..funny how they revert to normal after a few years above ground..looking more surface root,less"fat".
btw,the tree now is about 30" tall and in a 10 x 16" pot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here