Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clint_stevens

Unknown Tree

clint.stevens
15 years ago

last year i was looking for bonsai specimin when i found this tree with a really interesting trunk, i dug it up and it didnt respond well to being abruptly torn out of the ground especially since it had horrible roots, no feeders at all, most of the tree died but it sprouted up from farther down on the tree, so i have fasioned the top of the tree into a dead wood style bonsai. the only problem now is.. i have no idea what kind of tree it is. take a look at the pictures below. if anyone can tell me what kind of tree this is, it would really help in knowing how to care for the tree better!!

{{gwi:7709}}

{{gwi:7710}}

{{gwi:7711}}

{{gwi:7712}}

Comments (4)

• greenlarry
    15 years ago

Well at first I thought Pyracantha but that has hard black thorns. Some kind of Prunus?
    I clicked on the pics to get a better look but got this:

The action that you were trying to perform has failed.

Click here to go back to what you were doing.

• clint.stevens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

greenlarry,

no thorns on this tree. sorry about the pictures too, I had to make them small to post them on another site, so that is as large as they are. the leaves are about 3 to 4 inches long and 1 1/2 to 2 inches wide, if that helps. When I gathered the tree, all of the leaves had light brown spots and scrapes like the middle leaf of the close up on the last picture. I e-mailed the local Extension Forestry Professor and he said it might possibly be a Prunus Serotina (Black Cherry), I will just have to wait to see if it blooms, but it may not this year because its still rejuvinating from the stress i put it under when i dug it up.
    Also the professor listed a few key characteristics of the Black Cherry they are:

1. underside of leaf has rusty hairs along the base of the main vein that runs from the bottom to the tip of the leaf. In spring these hairs are whitish, but will darken with age.

1. if you break a twig, it has a pungent, almost acidic odor.
    2. bark is gray and scaly.

i will just have to wait to see if it blooms later in the spring.

• head_cutter
    15 years ago

I'd say what you've got there is a common wild cherry, the leaves look very much like one. It won't be much good as Bonsai I'm afraid:

They don't respond to pot culture, don't live more than 20-25 years, are prone to die-back and other things. Not really worth the waste of your time, even a cheap pot or some soil.

Bob

• clint.stevens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

head cutter,
    I believe you might be right, i thought i'd try, but i am moving in the next 6 months, and when i do, i might plant it back in the ground where i found it instead of trying to figure out how to move the huge thing. and it hasnt recovered well, any abuse i do to it, even training the very bendable stems to curve around the dead wood has caused a lot of leaves to drop, i will keep battling with it, but it wont be a loss if it dies completeley, and it has shown a lot of die back, hense the dead wood look. but at the same time, below the soil it has the most interesting and trunk, very thick and stout, its actually sideways in the pot right now with the very top exposed because if i expose more of the tree it starts to wilt, it has a poor root system still, i was thinking of maybe digging it up, peeling off some of the live bark and rubbing root hormone on it to promote root growth, because last time i dug it up which was a few months ago, it had no feeder roots. i dont know where it is getting any nutrients from.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz