Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizzlemermaid

Serissa Regrowth?

lizzlemermaid
15 years ago

Hey all,

I've been lurking on this forum for a while, I love looking at everyone's pictures.

Anyways, on to my question. I'll give you the background info first:

I have a Serissa foetida that I bought at a Japanese street festival. Of course, as Serissas do, it got grouchy and dumped almost all of its leaves a few days after I got it home. After researching this plant a bit more thoroughly, I decided not to panic.

Having no idea what the plant was potted it, I repotted it, and saw that the roots had been pruned already (pruned WAY back), so I thinned the trees branches, too, so it could focus more nutrients on fewer areas.

So now it's been a couple weeks and I've kept it under a growth lamp about 12 hours a day in a room where it already gets indirect natural light. I water it only when the soil is slightly damp, but getting to the dry side, and I mist the leaves every day.

I'm guessing this has been working because the single pair of leaves still on the tree is growing, and are starting to form a new little branch.

My question, then, is in general how long does it take for new buds to form? The leaves it has are growing, but there are no new buds.

Also, I've heard that you shouldn't fertilize the tree while it has no leaves, but it's due to be fertilized next week (3 weeks after the repotting in new soil), and I'm not sure if I should go ahead with it, or wait until the rest of the tree starts growing leaves. Should I wait?

Thanks in advance, sorry if that's a lot to read!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional