Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantlover4

somethins up with my Money Tree

plantlover4
18 years ago

I have had my Puchira Aquatica for about a year now, and it has been doing very well. I dont like to keep it trimmed because I want to it grow as big as it can get. I havent repotted it from the original one I got it in, and wouldnt know how to go about doing it because it seems to be connected to the pot with the moss on top. But thats not the problem. It seems to be in the last few days losing color on its leaves and sort of wilting up. I dont know, I may have over watered it not even realizing it. Should I try to repot it or just not water it for a while and see what happens?? I love this plant, it was a gift and I dont want it to die! Save my money tree! Thanks!!

Comments (19)

• lucy
    18 years ago

Hi, Pachira's hardly ever need to be watered compared to other plants, so that could be the problem (it's not about giving little bits, but rather leaving longer intervals, then doing it well when you do it). Also, please get rid of the moss - it's inappropriate on that tree anyhow, and can definitely mess up watering by hogging any you do pour in, and by keeping the soil from drying properly, and by introducing disease. Unless roots are coming out the bottom and the pot is obviously too small, don't worry yet about repotting because their roots in fact are very minimal. However, you'll have to do it eventually, so find someone who knows what they're doing and ask them to show you how to do it right.

• skalavagunta
    17 years ago

Hi
    I have a Money Tree. It's been about 2 years now. When I bought it was not even a foot. Now it's about 20 inches tall. These go through a rough time as soon as they come home, but they will recover.
    My Care Schedule:
    I have it near the east facing window where it gets direct sun for 4 hours a day.
    During summer, I water it once every week or so. I haven't given it any fertilizers TILL DATE.
    During winter, the tree takes some rest (I think). SO I water it every 4 weeks. NO FERTS. I start reducing the watering frequency when the older leaves start falling off.
    Spring and fall, I gradually increase or decrease the frequency according to the following season.
    The soil is usually bone dry when I water. When watering I water it thoroughly. The humidity around it is about 50%. I have it with my other tropical plants.
    The tree is in peat+vermiculite+perlite mix. NO soil. It is in a small pot, given the size of the tree itself.

Currently my tree is putting out new growth.
    Hope this helps you.
    Thanks
    SRivida

• lucy
    17 years ago

Hi, I'd just like to mention that your peat/vermiculite (& perlite) mix should be compacting inside the pot like mad by now and crushing the roots, keeping them from absorbing water well. I strongly urge you to repot without peat (coarse loam instead) and without vermiculite, which never holds its 'integrity' very long. Perlite and aquarium gravel are both very good for allowing the water to drain quickly (and don't leave drain water in the saucer either after watering) and while you might find you need to water more often, your plants and roots will be much healthier.

• plantlover4
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks for the advice everyone! My plant seems to be doing better. I dont water it as much and I can see some new growth starting but the older leaves are still turning light and dropping; not as bad though. I take it out in the sun everyday, is that good or should I not do that? Any advice is great, thanks!

• lucy
    17 years ago

Not really. Apart from the 'shock' of it each time (outdoor light is way brighter to a plant from inside that we could imagine), Pachira don't really like it very bright even inside, and the stress of being moved anywhere every day is really bad for any plant.

• rjj1
    17 years ago

Lucy

I would disagree a little on this. A wholesale grower in the Rio Grande valley along the Mexican border field grows them for size before potting and then moving them under light shadecloth.

I have a decent sized one that gets quite a bit of sun and looks nice. I would say they do great with a lot of sun and tolerate low light conditions.

randy

• lucy
    17 years ago

I'm sure all kinds of plants grow differently in Mexico (or nearby) but most of us live in apts. or houses, very likely in the northern part of the country, and our plants or trees are born and brought up indoors. They are pretty fragile a lot of the time depending on which cultivars they are, who takes care of them under what conditions (and with what skill), available materials, etc. and I do know my Pach's don't like even bright indoor light... and that, plus advice on other websites, etc. is what I have to go by.

• rjj1
    17 years ago

Lucy

I think there is something you are missing here. He grows thousands of them and they are sent all over the U.S. He doesn't grow them for his nieghbors across the road:-).

Within a 100 mile radius there in south Texas, a very large percentage of plants sold wholesale across the country start out and end up in your little apartment:-).

Just like what I say about my plants and how I do things, everything you read are opinions and experiences. You can choose to grow your plants a certain way, but don't think it can be done differently or better. There is always someone better at growing certain things:-). Every time I get a big head from thinking I do pretty good with plants, it never fails someone else casually shows me one better.

These pachys have done just fine in sun.
    {{gwi:7767}}
    {{gwi:7768}}
    randy

• lucy
    17 years ago

Yeow! Those are nothing like what I'm talking about! I'm talking about things with 1/2+" diam. 'trunks' at the most bulbous part, and the stems coming off those are like angel-hair pasta, each of the 5 trunks having 1-2 of those stems (branches) 1 1/2" long and supporting a compound leaf like schefflera of 5-6 leaflets l" long each. What you're talking about looks almost like a whole diff. plant (obesum, etc.). The leaves on your pics are short because they've had sun, I guess, but I've never seen any like that up here, let alone read about them. And I can't conceive of mine getting to be like those in years.

• rjj1
    17 years ago

Lucy

These are Pachypodium lealii subsp. saundersii I started from seed 4 years ago.

I have never heard of a Pachypodium that has compound leaves. All of their leaves grow directly off the main stem.

randy

• lucy
    17 years ago

Minda and I are talking about PACHIRA, not Pachypodium!! At least if you're going to give someone a hard time, pick on the right posting! Sheesh! They're not compound (maybe the wrong word) but just like a Schefflera's - 5+ leaves from a central point on long skinny stems.

• rjj1
    17 years ago

Dear Lucy

Yes, the subject has been pachira. I guess when you shortened the term to pach's, I naturally went to my favorite pach-y:-). Sheesh! Can't a guy have a little fun?

Sorry, I personally don't see a lot of potential for pachira as bonsai, but they make spectacular large specimen container plants.

This tree frog was serinading us last summer on my pach sitting on the back porch. Even in sun the leaves on this thing are way too big for bonsai to me.
    {{gwi:7770}}
    randy

• lucy
    17 years ago

Who said anything about bonsai :-) Lol! We just like the plants (which are sold as bonsai half the time!), and posted to this forum for lack of a Pachira one I guess. But seriously, they can be kept small if you're careful, but you have to take proper care of them. Whatever! Cool frog.

• plantlover4
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow, sorry about all the confusion on this forum. I am talking about the plant in the last picture with the frog. I noticed that when I did bring it out in the sun the leaves started to lighten up a bit, so I stopped doing that. But now the leaves are doing better and I can see some new growth. They still arent back to the dark green like before but it seems to be doing better. Thanks for everyones advice, its greatly appreciated!

Allison

• rjj1
    17 years ago

Hi Allison

I'm not sure how me turning a pach to a pachy is your fault, but you're forgiven:-).

Any plant that's been in the house with poor lighting and moved outside must be kept in shade for a while with only a few hours of morning sun. Over time you slowly acclimate it to more sun. Plants sunburn just like people, only they turn white from sun damage and not beet red :-).

randy

• lucy
    17 years ago

Isn't that funny, I looked and looked, but couldn't find any place where Allison said it was her fault! Really.

• everlasting
    16 years ago

Lucy,
    I think he was referring to when she said "Wow, sorry about all the confusion on this forum." People generally only say sorry when they feel something was their fault. So, He took it as she was saying she felt it was her fault about all the confusion. But it wasnt her fault, he knows that, You know that, I know that. He was just being polite to her. Let's try not to be so snippy over a simple mistake. Why so grumpy? Mistakes can be fun!

-Sammie

• isabel2010
    14 years ago

Hello,

I got a money tree a few days ago, today I notice that one of the branches is completely dried and I don't know what to do since it is the first time that I have this kind of tree, should I cut it off? please help me because I dont want this dead branch to contaminate the rest of my tree. Also, can you advise me about the proper care for this tree? I dont want it to die and since they didnt give it the proper care at the store where I bought it, I want to save it and make it healthy and beautifull. I hope you can help me out.

THANKS.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Is it braided? Several trunks or stems together?

If so, remove the dead stem/s.

Josh

Sponsored