Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help, Crack in Tree

Posted by emdoscio Philadelphia (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 14:20

Hi all. Since February I have had a 20-year old bonsai -- I think it is a Cotoneaster. I just noticed it has a sizable, dry looking crack running all the way from its trunk to the top. I only just noticed it because I hadn't turned it around to look at the other side since situating it in a sunny spot by the window.

I have watered it every day to every-other day, sometimes every 3 days, making sure the soil is damp. I have even used a spray bottle now and then because I heard Cotoneasters like that. It's in a sunny spot and my room is consistently about 70 degrees. I have not fertilized it, however.

Does a crack like this mean my tree is dead? The leaves are brown, but the place I got it from told me it was normal for leaves to fall off when you first get it because bonsais don't like being moved.

I have attached a photo so you can see what I'm talking about. The split wraps all the way up the tree. : (

Thank you for your help to a newbie! -Emily

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help, Crack in Tree

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 15:33

It looks like it's probably not salvable, Emily. If the place you got it from told you it was normal for leaves to fall off when you first get it because bonsais don't like being moved, they might have been being less than honest, but it's difficult to tell. They should have told you that trying to grow your tree indoors probably wouldn't work, and would result in your tree's demise. Your tree wants a cold rest for the winter - buried in the garden or snoozing in your garage. Scratch the trunk with your nail or a sharp tool to see if it's green. Do it in several places from high to low. If you push your hail against the trunk & it's slightly spongy - not hard - it's probably still alive. If it is, stop back & we can go from there.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here