Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of Bonsai do I have and care...

Posted by bwackv NY (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 14:45

Hello,

I purchased this little "bonsai" at home depot about a month and half ago. I don't know what kind. It's in my apartment getting moderate, east-facing light. The pine needles (or whatever they are) are starting to become very brittle and fall off to the touch. I don't know how to care for this plant and I don't know what kind it is! I've been watering when dry and giving it plant food. Should I spray it regularly? Please find attached picture.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of Bonsai do I have and care...

Looks like a juniper procumben. If the base pebbles and moss are glued...remove that imediately! That could be a majority of the problem. Box stores are known for that sort of thing.

Second...this tree is an outdoor bonsai. (No matter what the tag said) it also goes dormant and needs cooler temps in the winter. I house mine in an un-heated out building during winter. I wish you success...but, that would be the first steps I would do...and hope for the best.

If it is showing signs of needles being brittle...stop with the plant food. Until it shows signs of regaining health.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here