Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Burning Bush Top

Posted by hatflyer (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 16:08

I have a burning bush whose top needs work. Does the highlighted, thicker top branch seem too thick to bend so it is more upright, in line with the trunk? Or should I shoot for a crown, broom-like style?

The thickness of that top branch is about 3/8". I guess I would have to saw a notch in it so it can be set vertical?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Burning Bush Top

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 15:40

It needs some serious pruning and a lot of reduction in the upper 1/3 of the plant. Your first chore should be getting that area where you have more than 6 branches emanating from essentially the same spot. That's going to swell up like a balloon & ruin your tree.

PS - your plant tends to make lots of branches from every pruning cut. Make sure your tree has only branch bifurcations (crotches) not trifurcations (like a trident) or more branches originating from the same place.

Al

o

yeah, the branches are there mostly because I can't decide on the top. ;) also the right side is rather bare, and I'm hoping for some buds to pop in that direction before I get rid of some of them.

no suggestion on the choice of top?

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 17:29

Can't tell by the picture, but the top is already much too heavy. You want to substantially reduce the top of the tree, eliminating the heavy branches and getting to work on ramification. If you don't reduce that bundle of branches just below the blue arrow this year, you're going to end up with no solutions other than carving it out later, or chopping the tree back below that swelling and putting it in the ground for a while before building a whole new top.

Al

o

That is sweet. I would like to see picture this fall. Currently I have a burning brush as well. I dug it out about 5 years ago bare root. Could not salvage any roots. I planted it in the middle of my yard its recovered nicely and next year plan on digging it out. and working on it in a pot. though I was the only one seeing potential with this species., Awesome dude!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here