Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beachplant

Specimen source Houston/Galveston area

beachplant
15 years ago

If you are in the Houston/Galveston area and looking for a nice boug to work with I saw a few this weekend. Joseph's nursery in Pearland has some wonderful huge, fat bougies in relatively small pots for bonsai. $700-900 so a bit steep. The nursery is owned by a vietnamese family and has a lot of bonsai pots from China,Vietnam and Japan. They have some nursery stock just for bonsai also. Pots were 20% off when we were there this past weekend.(Not the chinese pots). Jimbos in Santa Fe has 3 HUGE bouganvillas in front of the bromeliad nursery. One in particular has a very thick interesting trunk with a lot of character. The other 2 are also very nice and any of the 3 would be perfect to bonsai. They are $120. While in bigger pots so you'd need to do some root pruning, they got a haircut sometime I'm guessing in the fall. I have to pay the electrician and the roofer this week so they aren't in my budget or I'd've bought the one at Jimbos. Dang hurricane!

AND Sun-land in Dickinson has jaboticaba for $39.99. Nice trunks with great bark. Ours is going in the yard but will probably pick up one next weekend for bonsai.

Tally HO!