Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mugho Pre-bonsai. Options?

Posted by bliorg 6b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 28, 08 at 16:39

Hi, all -

We have a mugho pine in the front bed. Wife hates it. Been stunted by an oversized bleeding heart for years. Time to pull it, and I'm thinking bonsai.

Photobucket

Photobucket

This plant's about 10 years old, all told. Been growing freely in the bed for about six years, and is about 3-1/2' wide by about 2-1/2' tall. This year, I'm pulling it and planting it in a deep, large pot to recover. Might get a little pruning to compensate for the damage I'll invariably do to the roots, but really, I just want it to recover.

Anyway, I haven't decided on a style for this yet, though I'm partial to kengai and han-kengai. And I've never tried jinning, and this plant has plenty of old branches to jin.

So, from the lousy, rainy pictures, whatcha think you'd do with this?

Scott

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mugho Pre-bonsai. Options?

Well I guess you select to either just grow the one (now ~ upright) trunk, or to select some of the other branches alone (can't see well enough to choose an individual one with potential) or together. Unless you can sketch the branch placement out and post it here on the gallery (with a note here to let us know) it's hard to say. How many yamadori have you grown? How many Mugo? Have you googled Vance Wood - the leading mugo expert bar none - about what to do? You might find him at www.BonsaiTalk.com of course. Don't work on the tree til late June, early July though - mugos are weird that way!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here