Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smith8_gw

more beginner stuff! yay!

smith8
15 years ago

Hello all,

two weeks ago I bought and styled a juniperus procumbens (like every other beginner wanting an instant bonsai). I cut away about 2/3 of growth from the top, and likewise pruned the roots a roughly equal amount. As I did so, I was careful not to cut back any major roots - just those that hung down to a great length. Well, I've got it in a pot now and am wondering if it's going to be ok.

Basically, I've read here and other places that if your tree turns brown in any spots it may already be too late. Well, I don't have any brown or crispy bits, but I have noticed about 1/5 of the new growth that was emerging before my actions is shriveled and cripsy (though still green!). I am trying to be very careful since I really want to do right by my tree! I have been misting it several times a day (since I read that helps the tree gain moisture and establish itself). It has been getting full sun, and I water it once every two or three days.

Am I being paranoid? Aught I do something right now to better ensure it's survival and healthy reestablishment after my pruning and repotting? Thanks for any advice!

-Smith

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living