Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help identify this tree please

Posted by
mr.baggy
(mr.baggy@gmail.com) on
Thu, Apr 6, 06 at 19:03

does anyone know what species this plant is and if there is any chance of it recovering? its lost all its leaves and im afraid it mite be dead

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help identify this tree please

Without any leaves, it's hard to identify. A description of a leaf (especially its shape, edge features (scalloped, etc.), dk or lite green, and size would help. make a hard little scratch on the trunk and if it's green underneath, it's still alive. Hold off on water until any new growth appears at all - almost no water is needed on a leafless plant.

o

My first guesses would be a Fukien tea or Chinese Elm; the trunks are pretty close, and shape of the tree is close.

o

I agree that it looks like a Fukien Tea. Leaves would help to clinch the ID.
Jerry

o

Thanks everyone for your replies and help.

I scratched some of the bark and it was brown underneath, does that mean its hopeless?

I found a few dead leaves on my table and tried to photo them but they didnt come out very well. this one is about the best.
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

From what ive found on google it does look like it was a Fukien Tea, also the site said it was an evergreen. im assuming this means that its beyond saving?

thanks again

o

Fukien is an evergreen, 'tropical' bonsai. Did you scratch the bark on the main trunk, down near the roots? Or just on one of the branches. Trying to give you hope here :) - I'd also take it out of the dirt and look at the roots; if the roots look 'alive' you may be able to salvage it with lots of tender care. I had a mini-rose climber in a pot on my son's deck last summer; it looked absolutely dead, and I was in the process of cleaning out the pot to plant something else, when I noticed there were a few 'live-looking' roots. I cut the bush way back, repotted in peat/vermiculite, fed it some 'Thrive' and weak fertilizer, and just noted yesterday it's putting out new shoots!

o

From what's left of the leaves, it looks like it could even be a ficus, or rather an ex-ficus, but not a fukien (they don't have long points at the ends, but a couple of little lobes, like someone took a bite out of the ends.

o

I have a bonsai, with little green leaves with white around the edges. One looks like it is dead, I hope not, the other has got a few new leaves on it. Need all the help that I can get, I inherited these little guys and don't want to hurt them more than they already were. Thanks guys

o

without pictures, a much more detailed description of both leaves, the way they grow (alternate or opposite) on the branches, and the trunk, it's impossible to guess at. If you can post pix, also put in your general location in the world as that will help to advise you on care, as will how you're growing them now - how much light, indoors or out, how often you water and how you do it, etc. etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here