Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
chinese elm dieback

Posted by moyogijohn w.virginia zone 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 5, 09 at 19:55

I am having a problem with die back on the secondary branches small ones that get the first new buds..anyone have this problem if so please tell me what to do to stop this or what you do to get good branching after winter.. hopeing to get some answers.. thank you very much john in w.virginia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: chinese elm dieback

Not knowing much about the pot or soil and anything else I'd say that you may have some root rot going on. Easiest way to find out is to take it out of the pot and check the roots. Look closely at the ones in the bottom of the pot and around the edges, tease the soil away to check.

#2 reason could be, West Virginia in April? If it's outside a little colder temps or frost will turn new growth to toast in no time. In Pa I would open the doors of the cold house in March/April but not totally uncover any of it until the danger of frost was gone. This gave any new growth time to harden off before total exposure.

Bob

o

Thank you Bob for your response i have re potted the elms already.no sign of root rot or the smell of it. there were no buds swelling at that time or now. have no clue guess i will have to wait and see what happens..thanks john

o

hi John,just wonder about our elm.my chin.elm is just now opening buds.i live in the mtns. of east ky.

o

Just a reminder after re potting keep your tree in a shady area and dont fertilize it for awhile.Dont want to stress it out any more than it already is.

o

The elms have not budded yet,bigbiglew,, guess they are three for the trash pile.. i am glad yours are going good,,man i hate to loose trees ,also the MONEY ...THANKS JOHN

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here