Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sanctified_gw

Oaks from acorns with rootmaker.

sanctified
11 years ago

I am thinking about trying my hand at growing some bonsai from little (12"-18") seedlings and acorns. I know that you need to keep them in trainer pots for a while to fatten up the trunk and wondered if anyone has experience using rootmaker and roottrapper pots for this purpose.

I have acorns and a few bur oak seedlings on order. I will be planting a few in my yard expecting them to grow big but figured I might as well try some for bonsai.

I know that Cork and Live oaks are what people typically use in bonsai but here in SLC, UT it looked like they may not do to well. I orderded northern red, bur, and pin oak acorns. I am going to try and get these to grow regardless of whether they could do well as bonsai because I love big trees but thought it could be fun for this purpose as well.

I have used all the google-fu I have to find information on using rootmaker pots with bonsai and have found very little. It seems like the main issue with oaks is the taproot and that issue seems to be remedied with the rootmaker products.

What do you all think about this? Are my hopes and expectations totally unreasonable?

Here is a link that might be useful: Root Maker Potting Supplies

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?