Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bonsai going black

Posted by steph1986 none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 20:20

I have had my bonsai (Ficus) since December and it has been going ok. But now it has started to loose all its leaves and go black where the new roots are coming through. why is this happening?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bonsai going black

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 16:42

??? "..... where the new roots are coming through." What does this mean?

Picture?

Al

o

My Birch Tree grouping is showing some dead branches which I have cut off. Noticed some brown insects, should i spray my tree?

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, May 11, 13 at 13:05

It's common and characteristic of Betula to have branches die back for seemingly no reason. But for trees in general, shedding of parts usually means there is a cultural problem. Your job is to determine whether or not the die back is 'birch' being true to its habits or whether it's the result of something cultural the planting doesn't like.

Re the bugs: the first step would be to identify them, and determine whether they are harmful or beneficial. Then you would determine the least noxious way to bring them under control. If you can't identify, yet are convinced they're doing damage, I've had good results with Bayer Advanced 3-in-1 insect/disease/mite control. It has a systemic insecticide (imidacloprid), a systemic fungicide (tebuconazole), and a miticide I can't remember (Tau-fluvalinate or something similar to that spelling).

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here