Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rammankin

Gumi shrub/tree as bonsai

rammankin
16 years ago

I'm interested in trying to grow some gumi plants. I'd like to use one for bonsai down the road, if all goes well. Hopefully I can find a way to obtain more than one, so that I can grow out another one to harvest some fruit.

Does anyone know much about these or their seeds? Some websites I've come across say that it can take as long as several years for gumi seeds to germinate, others say it's really easy to grow from seed.

So far, the best option I think I've found is at http://www.richfarmgarden.com/elaeagnus.html#top . I can go with either 50 seeds in a packet for 5 bucks, or spring for a 2 to 3 foot tall tree for 20 bucks. Is there a place out there that would come with higher recommendations than this site to purchase from? Or has anyone purchased from them before and could tell me how it worked out for them?

I'd like to say thanks to everybody here for helping me get more familiar with bonsai. My ficus that I got about 2 and a half months ago is doing great as an indoor tree under a shop light - it's almost doubled it's leaf count! The trunk is noticably thicker, and everything is a bright vibrant healthy green. I'm getting ready to replant it into a slightly larger pot, a plastic bonsai style one (opposed to the square one it came in) that I got for free at a bonsai club meeting.

At this same bonsai club meeting I also got a couple Norwegian spruce trees for free, and they seem to be doing well outside... is anyone familiar with this species for bonsai? Somebody mentioned at the meeting that they were preferable for bonsai because the branches tend to grow at a downwards slant instead of an upwards slant.

Thanks again everyone =)

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz