Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clint_stevens

Leaves on fukien tea dry up overnight..!

clint.stevens
15 years ago

i got a fukien tea from Wal-Mart for 8 dollars a week or two ago,so i wasn't expecting great health from this tree to start out with... well it just started to get warm here and so i have been putting it outside everyday, when its sunny so it can get some light because the room where i display it has horrible lighting for plants like a fukien tea, it responded well to the light the first couple of days like it had sucked in a lot of nutrients that it hadnt recieved in the past, but yesterday i put it out at about 8:30 in the morning on the southern side of my apartment, i brought it in at about 7 in the evening or so, and it looked fine, then when i got home from work today it looked as if almost all of the leaves had dried up overnight, almost all of them still have their color but a couple turned completely brown. the bark is still green when i make a cut. could the leaves drying up be related to too much sunlight? it wasnt hot at all, it was probably around 60 to 70 degrees all day, i also have an avocado sapling that i put outside and its leaves look like they got sunbleached in some spots but it still looks healthy.

did my tree get sunburned? is it going to live through this?

below is a picture of its current state, i just sprayed water on the leaves, thats why its wet.

{{gwi:8497}}

any help or advice is appreciatted!!

Comments (6)

• indorbonsai
    15 years ago

What type of soil is this tree planted in and where do you live ? The Fukien tea is tropical and needs humidity and lots of water when outside if it is planted in a good draining Bonsai soil. When my trees are outside I keep them in the shade and check the soil before I put them outside and when I bring them back inside, and water if needed. Just warm air will dry out these trees roots so you got to be careful. when watering remember to soak the pot under water till bubbles stop coming up then you know that it is good and watered. Mist the leaves when indoors or at night,but never in direct sunlight. I hope this helps and I hope your tree is getting better. good luck:)

• clint.stevens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

well.... haha just regular potting soil with some grit added, i haven't got around to buying any good bonsai soils, i was going to go to a nursery and buy some sphagnum moss and just plant it in that until it revived. but i was hesitant because i just repotted it, i didnt want to repot it again. now all the leaves are gone, but the bark is still green, i am thinking of potting it in a bigger pot because it's in a very small cascade style pot and i can never get my finger in the soil to see how moist it is, and i cant really tell by sticking a toothpick in the dirt either, the dirt in the bottom of the pot is still damp but none of the roots go down that far. so i don't know if i should water it or just leave it alone... its inside right now, and i dont want to stress it out by moving it around until it starts growing again, but it gets almost no light in the room its in now, but i have a nice shady back porch that gets good sunlight but never direct sunlight, and its really humid here. so should i put it outside? and re-pot it. and what kind of soil should i use that i dont have to order from a website. something that i can pick up at a loes or a local nursery is preferable. i've been wanting to try sphagnum moss for a while, should i plant it in that, or should i use something inorganic?

• louiseaj08_yahoo_co_uk
    14 years ago

Did you managed to figure out and solve the problem? I'm having exactly the same problem with exactly the same kind of tree :( It looks so sad and sick :( And the leaves are all falling off and turning brown.

• head_cutter
    14 years ago

No pics of the whole tree?

First they only need a few hours of direct sun a day. If you put it outside all day you will lose a few leaves but nothing major, the bigest problem is probably watering, it just needs more than you're giving it. It is also probably in a small pot, you can try moving it into a larger one with additional soil mix, more soil-more water, limited stress.

You have winter and summer, I don't but, I have a very large FT bonsai. It's planted in a mix of coarse sand and Basalt chips (nothing else here like bonsai soil) and kept, like the rest of my trees, under a canopy which gives them about 80% shade all year round. Even with that I MUST water twice a day or they start to wilt.

One easy fix for you would be to get a large container of screened Pine bark mulch and dig the pot into that (about 2-3 times the size of the pot) give it some drain holes. That may solve some of the moisture loss problems.

Bob

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Sounds like a bad word........Wow

• head_cutter
    14 years ago

Also Google it, there are many fine places you can get a lot of symtom/care info. Jerry Milsiak has a very good batch of tropical and semi-trop information.

Bob

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio