Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rammankin

Juniper Cutting Or Air Layer?

rammankin
17 years ago

My grandfather that passed away a while ago has a really big juniper-looking plant outside of his old house. Looks like a juniper to me at least, when I compared it to others at a bonsai club meeting.

His tree is probably 12 feet diameter, with a thick trunk, I dunno how big... maybe 8 inch diamater, would be a hazardous guess. Anyway, my point is that it's been there a long time, and has been growing for a long time and thus produced a lot of thick branches (like over an inch diam.)

I'm thinking I'd like to either take a cutting and try to get it to grow roots to make a bonsai, or try an air layering. A friend at the bonsai club meeting said to find some rooting hormone solution/gel and dip a fair sized cutting into that and plant. He said an air layer is probably a better idea, so that the mother tree could basicly keep feeding the part I want to eventually remove.

Any ideas on what I could do? I could use a break down of what an air layer is, exactly... I've got an idea, but I'm not comfortable with it completely yet.

Comments (6)

Sponsored