Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chinese Elm! (advice)

Posted by broocewayne Texas (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 23:07

Okay so I just got in my Chinese elm, and it looks great! I really don't want to mess anything up with it, it's currently under 2 t5's bulbs, getting roughly 13 hours a day with it, I'm going to water it whenever the top soil is dry, and water it until it drains from the hole in the bottom. Fertilize roughly every two weeks due to its spring! I know they can be grown indoors I've seen it done so that's what I'm trying to accomplish!

If I've missed ANYTHING please let me know, or if anything I've said is wrong!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chinese Elm! (advice)

I've actually decided to keep it outside, so on that note, should it be okay?

o

Don't know enough about your microclimate (except that it's Texas vs e.g. England, a more appropriate climate), or conditions you'll keep it in. Don't grow it in tropical conditions because it's not a tropical, a garden plant or a house plant.

o

Well it'll be kept mainly in shade with the exception of maybe 3 to 4 hours of direct Sun, in the summer it can reach 100 so then I'll move it more into the shaded area! Other than that, should it be okay? Anything to watch out for?

o

The leaves are starting to look like this? What does this mean?

o

Either too much water or too much heat.

I can't answer for <100 F heat, shade or not, so I guess you'll find out. I also doubt that you'll be that religious about moving it around so much, or that doing so will be a great idea anyhow... better a more stable place inside if you can rig something relatively suitable. Then get it out in the early fall and keep it there through the winter unless it gets below freezing on overnights where you are.

o

Okay so don't move it around? and keeping it inside Under two t5 fluorescent lights will be okay? I'm just trying really hard not to screw this up! and the fluorescent don't give off too much heat so its probably over-watering, yet i noticed around the edges of the leaves were browning, could that be from when I put it outside in the sun? what would be the ideal conditions for a Chinese elm, thats all i have to know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here