Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loki6

Outdoor Bonsai Inside Under Skylight?

Loki6
11 years ago

Hello! I bought my first bonsai a few months ago, but sadly the poor juniper was attacked by spider mites that I was unable to fend off. Since then I have decided to start growing many varieties of bonsai from seed in my room under a skylight.I also bought a young texas cedar elm, which looks to be somewhere between 7 and 10 years old from the thickness of its trunk and height, that I am keeping in my room near the skylight with a compact florescent light on it, and I am growing several redwood seedlings; a maple seedling; and a holly seedling that I found in my backyard in pots in the yard. I was wondering if the seeds/seedlings that I am growing indoors will "feel" like they are growing outside since they are under the skylight, which is always open. I am living in Northern California for a reference on the type of weather I receive.

The types of seeds I am trying to grow under the skylight are Jack Pine (currently 4 several inch tall seedlings), Sacred Japanese Cedar (currently 1 5-6 inch tall seedling), Gingko (currently planted, but I am also cold stratifying more in case they do not sprout), Indian Banyan (currently planted), European olive (currently planted), Korean Hornbeam (currently in warm stratification), Japanese Red Maple (currently in cold stratification), Chinese Elm (currently in cold stratification), one Redwood seed I decided to plant indoors, and of course I have my Texas Cedar Elm growing there as well. If it matters, my room is on the second story of my house. Should I change anything around? It wouldn't be a huge deal, but I would prefer to keep things as is if possible.

Also, my Mom and Sister are trying to grow a crabapple bonsai and a pomegranate bonsai indoors next to windows. Is that OK also? Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can give!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths