Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stuborn Wisteria.

Posted by Derrick.Shepard Maine (My Page) on
Fri, May 17, 13 at 1:48

I started this tree from seed.
The seed was one of about thirty I tried to germinate.
This one took. and has been growing for three years. every spring the buds open leafs out then they turn rusty colored. and fall. the tree seems as though it goes back dormant in the middle of the summer! it does nothing. then the following spring repeats it self. this year it the buds open. I put it out. the leaves did the same thing. the plant seems happier indoors. I cut all the discolored foliage off. and watched new leaf form. I have kept it where it seems happy indoors. any suggestions. I will add pictures.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stuborn Wisteria.

Could you describe to me how you cared for it during those years? Amount of sun, how often you watered, zone?

New growth on my wisteria is a rusty color but turns completely green a little less than a month later. Mine is overpotted in a large, deep pot. It grows in commercial potting soil. When it is dry all the way through I water it about a day or two afterwards, unless I get a really hot day. It gets 6+ hours of direct sun.

Forgive me for asking, are there drainage holes? The pot looks very nice, almost like it's a decorative bowl. I hope I was of some help, if the conditions are not wrong the only thing I can think of is some disease.

o

Zone 5 it was always in a shallow pot. Was given full sun and fed with low nitrogen slow release bosai fertilizer. The tree is healthy that picture was taken last night. However it does not like beeing out side. Soon as sun hits it it turns rusty already happend once this spring. The pot is hand made by Tony Remington. Bonsaipotsuk.com. and it does have drainage holes.lol

o

Zone 5 it was always in a shallow pot. Was given full sun and fed with low nitrogen slow release bosai fertilizer. The tree is healthy that picture was taken last night. However it does not like beeing out side. Soon as sun hits it it turns rusty already happend once this spring. The pot is hand made by Tony Remington. Bonsaipotsuk.com. and it does have drainage holes.lol

o

I believe you might need to acclimate the plant from inside to outside, slowly, over several weeks so that the soft fresh new growth can adjust to temperature and light change. If it was used to full sun indoors it should adapt to full sun outdoors. Do your windows have a uv filter this is a huge difference from full sun. I hope this helped.
James in Florida

o

I did slowly acclimate it. The buds also did open outside. I have amother wisteria that was an air layer from the tree that this seed came from it has been treated the same, and is thriving out doors.
I was under the impression that any tree grown from seed is genetically different from the parrent.
Is it posissible this one just likes it inside?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here