Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bonsai palms

Posted by adamharbeck WA Aust (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 08 at 7:23

Hi Everyone,

Firstly I have to admit that I am a palm enthusiast not a bonsai enthusiast so I may need a little guidance here.

I was surfing the web looking for info on palms and I stumbled across an article talking about bonsai palms.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~jold/bia/articles/bonsai-palms-of-indonesia.shtml

I would like to try growing a golden cane (featured) as well as a Bamboo plam in this way.

Can anyone suggest what sized pot and plant I would need to start with? I have some small group planted golden cane palm seedlings, would these be a good option as they are already going to be competing with eachother? Or should I start with a larger, single plant and repot it with the roots exposed as shown in the pic?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Adam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bonsai palms

I have done that with Chaemedorea palms. It was a long time ago and the palm did fine. I have also had dwarf blechnum tree ferns..again,fine.
One "method" is to keep the plants you buy in one gallons in that container for a couple or three years..then,when you see the reduced fronds,repot into a smaller Bonsai pot while trimming the roots. Never let dry out and just wait for the look to develop.

o

Thaks stanofh.
What species of Chamaedorea did you use? Do you still fertilise normally?
Adam

o

The common dwarf C.elegans.But that was the only Chamaedorea at the time easily found.I would think that C.sfreizii or the Cat palm you find at H.D would look much better with their finer fronds and natural clumping habit.And Adam,they are MUCH easier to grow than Dypsis lutscens. That palm really needs full sun to be happy-at the very least compact.
Right now Cat palms are very easy to get and would be your best bet.

o

One last thing..the Bella palms did well enough to flower and set orange berrys.Another nice Chamaedorea feature.

o

Well I settled on my palm, a double planted wedding palm (Lytocaryum weddellianum). Its in one of those trays with the lake and a rock outcrop. I *underplanted*? it with dwarf mondo and attached a miniature orchid to the rocks. Hopefully it willl look like a tropical shore. I did a similar one with an orange jessamine, bamboo and mondo which looks much nicer. I was trying to recreate a minature hong kong. Ill post pictures one day.

Adam

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here