Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chinese Elm - HELP

Posted by rob_thompson 5 (My Page) on
Mon, May 25, 09 at 7:51

I recently bought 4 Bonsai's from joebonsai.com. They seem to be a reputable dealer. They were shipped second day UPS and well packaged. Three arrived in great shape (a Ficus, a Schefflera, and a Podocarpus).

The fourth, a Chinese Elm, looked fine right out of the box. The leaves are well attached (not falling off) but are brittle and break/crumble if bent (like fall leaves). Is this normal for this type of tree? The soil was reasonably moist upon arrival and I have been watering it every 2-3 days.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chinese Elm - HELP

You may have got a tree that has last years leaves on it..elm trees are suppose to drop there leaves every year like all deciduous trees.do not water heavy just moist watch for buds breaking in 2 weeks.let them know what the tree is doing in case you have to get a replacement..hope this helps....john

o

They are a semi-reputible dealer, still the best way to buy a tree is from a nursery where you actually see it. Other than a few larger trees what most sell are large rooted cuttings with very little development at all. There are a few different varieties of 'Chinese Elm' on the market, most look the same, there are some (like some Oaks) which don't drop last years leaves until the new buds break. This could be what's happening, especially if it' was kept in a greenhouse or cold house over winter. I'd keep it just barely moist and watch for new buds before watering too much.

Bob

o

Thanks for your follow-up postings. It's now been nearly a month and new little green buds have appeared all over my new Chinese Elm. It appears that it is growing all new leaves to replace the old ones it dropped!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here