Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rob_thompson_gw

Bonsai Fertilizer

rob_thompson
14 years ago

I have a question about complete fertilizers for Bonsai's. I understand that for most Bonsai's, the recommended rate of fertilization with liquid fertilizer is every other week during the growing period and monthly during the winter months. Most sources mention something about "half strength" liquid fertilizer, but don't say anything about N-P-K. I consulted Howard Resh's book on Hydroponics which gives very detailed formulas for nutrient mixes. All of the commercial formulas he surveyed seem to have an N-P-K ratio of about 6-1-6. This isn't too far off the current Miracle-Gro all purpose fertilizer, which nicely contains trace elements as well.

However, Micracle-Gro lacks Calcium, Magnesium, and Sulfur. Adding a teaspoon of Epsom Salt takes care of the Mg and S nicely. In my garden, I get lots of Calcium from lime and Bone Meal. But I understand most Bonsai's like slightly acidic soil (pH 6.0-6.5), so lime is out. And adding Bone Meal monthly doesn't seem like fun. I water in Calcium Nitrate on my Tomato plants to prevent blossum-end rot, but does anyone know how much to use on Bonsai's for supplemental Ca?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH