Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bonsai full of wheel-spoked branches, please help

Posted by HeadJohnson none (My Page) on
Wed, May 7, 14 at 8:26

So I received a bonsai as present but its full of wheel-spoked branches (which are very dense and full of short dead branches). If I cut them all, there would be only two pretty small branches left and Im not even sure that the new branches could grow out of the place of old ones. Also these two normal branches I have are both cut at the end, it pretty much looks like they wont grow longer just to the sides.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bonsai full of wheel-spoked branches, please help

Remove any dead branches. This bonsai has a nice shape, pinch or snip off the leaves on the tips to create "pads" I would want the interior of these pads to thicken in. See how the bottom branch curves down and out? Envision it being denser so pinch the tips on the top of this branch following the curve. Just stand back and look at it but don't be too hasty. I will leave branches or leaves until I have studied the plant and decide what I want to do. I think this plant has already decided for you. The top pad can be separated from the bottom by removing the small branches in between but again take your time. I might take you weeks to decide which one to remove.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here