Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Infestation of various bugs

Posted by overlord 10 (UK) (My Page) on
Fri, May 18, 07 at 9:36

This morning while watering my fukien tea I have noticed red ants and larvae in the soil. What is the best action to take knowing that fukien tea are not easly treated for infestations?

I really don't want to cause any more trauma for the tree but I know if I leave this untreated it will certainly be the cause of death.

Thanks,

Jimmy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Infestation of various bugs

Wait an extra day between waterings, then immerse the pot in the sink and wait 10 mins. Unless you have 'aqua-ants' they'll be long gone before time's up.

o

Ill try that tomorrow seeing as it needs a water already. Ive read that making a tobacco tea like solution, waiting for it to cool, then pouring over the soil will get rid of most insects! Advisable for a fukien tea or not?

Thanks for the help btw lucy.

Jimmy

o

I have tried to use the non-toxic dunk method to rid my plants of ant colonies. Yes, it is impressive to see hunderds of ants fleeing the rising water, but it doesn't work completely. They all flee up my tree/plant, wait there, and hide among the leaves which makes spraying them off an arduous task (and here in GA if its fire ants that could be a painful experience.). I often wind up using rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle on everything after they have climbed up. (This also works great for mealy bugs, scale and spider-mites). I sometimes do resort to the residual acting ant-killer spray on the soil (not on the plant - it damages leaves) - for any ants that had SCUBA gear.

o

OL - Write to Harry Harrington, about the biggest name (but coolest guy) in bonsai in the UK. Either google, or find him at www.thebonsaisite.com as he hangs out there a lot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here