Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hobby and Business in one

Posted by gardenlover25 (My Page) on
Fri, May 29, 09 at 9:38

I have tried making my own bonsai plant. I chose the tamarind tree to be my first bonsai. It started as a hobby and now it became an additional source of income. I am so happy because it starts as hobby and turned out to be a homebase business.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hobby and Business in one

Got any pictures? I'd like to see your original tamarind tree, as well as the set-up you have now.

They say - at first you do it for the love; then for a few friends; and, finally, for the money...

At this point, I'm merely collecting material, propagating material, and working on a few personal
plants that I intend to keep.

My sister's boyfriend and I are contemplating how to make some quick money on e-Bay, though.
I have an old Christmas Cactus in my collection, and I've noticed that folk are eager to obtain
rooted and unrooted cuttings of this plant.

Josh

o
RE: Hobby and Business in one

And don't forget #4, you finally realize you're spending more than you're actually making and quit. I used to do a few folk festivals to get rid of stuff that was just sitting around and some little things i'd potted up to make a few bucks on. The majority of my better things was sold to actual Bonsai people...they understood why they were more expensive than 'malsi' trees.

Funny, when I was leaving and my friend and I decided to clear the field (about 800 trees) we invited 3 local Bonsai clubs to come browse and buy what they wanted. While selling about 100 well developed trees people kept asking about coming back after the 'sale' was over (the ones who bought nothing). They were agast to be told that--when the sale was over we were going to either pull them or cut them flush with the ground and have a bonfire. A few showed up the night we were having a weenie roast and a good party...there were no free or dirt cheap trees...not after putting 5+ years into what was left.

Bob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here