Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eucalyptus candidate

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Wed, May 1, 13 at 9:53

I got this tree a year ago with the intention of putting it in the ground somewhere, but ended up being one of those things that never got done. After a few months, I felt sorry for it and gave it a bigger pot, but it was never stable, always wobbly. It gets blown over a lot, so all soil not firmly held by roots is gone.

At this point, it's not something I want in the yard, but this spring, the circle of new branches at the bottom is intriguing. Hope you can see, they're in a perfect ring.

Before I just lop off the top, which is probably "wrong," I wanted to solicit advice/opinions about this plant... What say you? What would you do with this thing? TIA for your input.

It lived in the pot outside all winter, so that would be the plan for it in the future...

The whole thing:

At the base:

The base from the other side:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eucalyptus candidate

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, May 2, 13 at 17:19

Having all the branches growing in a whorl is highly undesirable. The reason is, the trunk will thicken badly in the area of the whorl and you'll be left to wonder about how to deal with the reverse taper of the trunk (as in layering it off right below the swelling). If your intent is to keep it in a pot, I would remove all but the one branch that best compliments the formative structure, with the thought that it's eventually going to be the new top - when you sever the main trunk (to give the plant some taper) immediately above the branch you choose as the eventual new leader.

Some of the eucalypts make very nice bonsai, but I'm trying to envision what the growth habit of that particular species might be like. Don't let that stop you from having fun with it, though!

Al

o

Yep, the only thing I was sure of was that I was wrong. At least that's right! Thanks for the response, Al. You know I'm always having fun with the plants!

Just realized I never indicated its' species, E. polyanthemos.

These trees are hardy here, but not at all common. Not even sure if the few I've seen are all the same species, but generally, they are unruly, gangly, gnarly. I have no experience with them either.

Your future vision is more acute than mine, even if we are the blind leading the blind on this particular species, so if you don't envision a result that looks like a little weeping cherry or willow (except for the Eucalyptus leaves,) it's probably not possible.

I have no fantasies that this would be a proper bonsai, but seems like it could be a cute little curiosity. Will post pics of whatever torture I devise for this sad little guy... My Mom has even quit asking if she can have it for her yard.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, May 3, 13 at 16:34

If you want a little weeping tree, get a Ficus pumila and train it to an upright form. It's branches will be innately pendulous. ;-) Have fun!

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here