Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardener_guy

Azalea Pruning

gardener_guy
13 years ago

Hi,

I have an azalea bonsai about 3-4 years old in training. I have styled it to look like a multi-trunk Magnolia. It flowered about one week ago and lasted until Friday April 30th when I cut all the flowers off. I know how to prune the flowers. What I don't know how to do is prune the branches. I have a few unruly long branches. I need to cut them back to match the crown. I don't want to kill the branch. All of the leaves are at the tips of the branches where the flowers were. How do I do this?

Thank you,

Gardener Guy

Comments (5)

• larke
    13 years ago

Hi, a picture would definitely be in order here as it's so particular to what you're asking about. I also wonder if your tree's had enough sun, or enough to have reached the lower parts of branches especially if you got it from e.g. the supermarket because they tend to encourage so much foliage on those the interior never gets enough, plus they're stuck indoors for long periods. Azaleas do better in light shade when outside, but not if they don't have some sun for a lot of the day. "Long and unruly" is a clue too - the flowers and leaves were reaching for more light. I don't know why you cut off the flowers - usually pruning is done after they fade, but when it happens naturally (the energy you may have thought you were saving was already spent by the time you cut them). In any case, why not try cutting a couple of branches and see what happens. If you like it, do the rest (or whichever ones suit your design).

• head_cutter
    13 years ago

Azalea pruning is no big deal, norally the dead blossoms are pinched rather than cut though. This is known as 'deadheading' and encourages bud-set for the future. A few seasons of this can lead to a plant/tree producing such a profusion of flowers that there is almost no foliage to be seen during blooming.

During pruning it's best to clean out the smaller interior and crossing branches at that time, allowing more light in. The best way is to cut back a little further than you would think because it will force budding and breaks at the branch apex thus, more foliage. Normally you would look for latent buds and make the cut at a 45 degree angle, just a little ahead of the bud.

Bob

• gardener_guy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is a picture of the azalea. I the left side is the area where the main branch needing trimming. others need trimming as well. This is directly after bloom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Azalea Bonsai

• head_cutter
    13 years ago

Looks like it's off to a pretty good start. Remember that Bonsai is about creating an illusion of age and size therefore the design is all about the 'proportions' of the plant/tree. Trunk size vs. heigth vs. canopy size and density among other things. The best time to prune them is after blooming, that is to 'chase' back the branches. This will lead to better overall density in the canopy.

Azaleas can be cut very hard as long as they are in good health. There is no problem cutting the branches back even half way. This will give more breaks, buds every year for a few years until the canopy is nice and full.

If you look at pics of them when being shown they are normally in bloom. Ones which have been styled right over the years will show 90% flowers and 10% or less foliage. They are quite a showy tree for Bonsai.

Bob

• graycam
    13 years ago

Azalea back bud really well. You can cut all foliage off of a branch and it'll create (often) a new bud.

If you look closely you may be able to see some rings (faint rings) from past year's growth. If you clip right above that, a new but should pop out.

Prune after flowering.

Also, a standard practice is to prune each branch after blooming to two branches / two leaves.

HTH,
    Cam.

Here is a link that might be useful: Satsuki 'Two Leaf / Two Branch' technique

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH