Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good Solid Bonsai Book for Beginners?

Posted by cwren58 7/8 (My Page) on
Mon, May 27, 13 at 11:22

My husband is fascinated with bonsai and has made some attempts on his own. I would like to get him a nice pot and a really good bonsai book that a beginner would learn a lot from. It needs to be a meaty book though--he's very intelligent and an engineer, so I don't want to get something that he wouldn't want to really study.

Can anyone recommend a really good bonsai book and/or a source for some good pots?

thanks!
Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good Solid Bonsai Book for Beginners?

I would recommend The Complete book of Bonsai by Harry Tomlunson. It has a full colour A-Z species by species section. Very good.
Also Bonsai by Dan Barton. And anything by Peter Chan!

o

I would recommend The Complete book of Bonsai by Harry Tomlunson. It has a full colour A-Z species by species section. Very good.
Also Bonsai by Dan Barton. And anything by Peter Chan!

o

Thank you both! :) Maybe I'll get him a little set of books.

o

• Posted by penz FL (My Page) on
    Wed, May 29, 13 at 13:00

I would definitely recommend The Bonsai Book by Dan Barton, one of the best and most complete books on bonsai I know. Is easy to read, have a very explanative style and is complemented with great illustrations. I wrotte a full review about it if you want to know more:

Here is a link that might be useful: The Bonsai Book

o

thanks!

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, May 31, 13 at 22:14

To be successful at bonsai, a good working knowledge of soils and plant physiology are essential, and more valuable than a collection of bonsai books, which tend to cover a variety of topics, and none of them well. Exceptions to that rule are Bonsai Techniques I and Bonsai Techniques II ~ John Naka, and Bonsai ~ Deb Koreshoff. These books are out of print, so buying them used might be required, but they are worth looking for.

I highly recommend Plant Production in Containers ~ Carl Whitcomb PhD, The Physiology of Woody Plants ~ Kozlowski/Pallardy or Growth Control in Woody Plants by same authors, and Growing Media for Ornamental Plants and Turf ~ Handreck/Black. Another out of print book that is excellent is The Growing Tree ~ Brayton Wilson

Another very good plant physiology book is Plant Physiology ~ Mohr/Schopfer, but this is a book for more advanced horticultural practitioners ....

Al

o

Than you, Tapla and to OP

This is just what I was looking for, too.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 21:31

You're welcome - good luck!!

Al

o

I guess this is an old-ish thread, but with the holidays approaching its still relevant.

As a beginner myself, I've checked out a decent number of bonsai books in the past year. Despite many recommendations here and elsewhere, I found "The Complete book of Bonsai by Harry Tomlunson" to be so basic as to be almost useless. You can find similar info all over the internet by reading any introductory material on bonsai. At least for me, it was way too basic and high level to be of much use.

I did however have the fortune to be gifted a copy of Deborah Koreshoff's out of print Bonsai book, which I find invaluable and amazing. Quite accessible to a beginner, and I think it will be many years before I am at the point where I need more depth than is in this book. It's probably expensive to buy, but well worth it. I can't figure out why its no longer in print, given the high quality of the content.

I also had a chance to browse a friends copy of John Naka's Bonsai Techniques I, which I found very technical and difficult to relate to at my current skill level. I'm sure its a great book, but I decided its not for me, at least not now or anytime soon.

Daniel

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here