Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigger32_gw

My Juniper Bonsai is fading!!!

bigger32
13 years ago

I got a nice Juniper bonsai for birthday last year (May 24th). For the last few weeks, I have started noticing it looking like it's fading, and perhaps turning brown. I scratched the bark and saw green, so I am convinced it is still alive. I also see new growth coming on the plant. It seems to be suffering in the areas nearest to the main branches more so than on the outer edges of the plant. It has been outside since I've had it, sitting on my patio in south facing light. I do not believe I have been over-watering since I am very cognizant of that, and try to feel for dryness in the soil before I water. I have also put water in the saucer the few hot days we have had. But, that has only been once or twice in 2010. It concerns me that there seems to be a secondary ball of exposed roots ( roots just thicker than heavy sewing thread) exposed just above the soil. I thought those roots might be drying out and causing the problem with the plant. I have noticed this same root configuration on some photos of the Juniper bonsai, however. The plant was a mail order from a Bonsai dealer. It was trained (it is not extremely trained), probably in a 7 or 8 inch pot, and is about 8 inches tall from the bottom of the pot to the top of the tallest part of the plant. It has loose gravel on top of the soil. It stayed outside through the winter blizzards this year where we got probably 40 inches of snow altogether. I left it out through all of this with the thought that it is a tree and should be able to survive. So, I think it made it through all of that just fine, but, I'm thinking now it may have a fungus/virus. Please help. It was growing very vigorusly, but, now it is fading and leaves are beginning to fall off when touched.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz