Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akarinz

Help with Podocarpus

akarinz
16 years ago

Hi,

I am an inexperienced bonsai person. I've had this podocarpus for years, with the plans to eventually work on it. I noticed last week that the bark is coming off. I've enclosed some pictures. I am concerned that it is going to die. If anyone can give me any advise, I would appreciate it. I would hate to lose it. I have several pictures, but I can't figure out how to load them. Can someone help with that.

Thanks,

Karin

Comments (5)

• lucy
    16 years ago

If there's green under the bark, your tree is alive, otherwise it isn't. Podocarpus needs relatively cool conditions (should live outdoors year round in your zone) and to be able to get fairly dry between waterings... does this match up with your care?

• akarinz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Can someone tell me how to post a picture, so I can show what the actual trunk looks like?

Thanks,
    Karin

• lucy
    16 years ago

PhotoGallery Help/FAQ
    Post your favorite photos, add captions and titles, and send the links to family and friends so they can add their comments! To upload a photo, you must log in using your GardenWeb member name. Membership is free and it just takes a few minutes to sign up. Join now.

Uploading photos
    Once you've signed in, click on the Submit a Photo link on the right side of the page. Select at least one category in which you would like your photo to appear. Title your photo and write a description of it, then click Browse to locate the photo on your computer's hard drive. Make sure your photos don't exceed 500KB.

Tips
    To protect your privacy, don't use your full name when posting a photo.
    If you participate in a GardenWeb message board, include the board's name in your caption so other members of the board can find your photos by searching for the name of the message board. They can also find it by searching on your member name or other text.
    Finding Photos
    Once you've clicked Submit, it takes a few minutes for your photo to appear on the site. To find your photo, go to the category you selected from the list of categories on the right. Your photo will also appear in the Most Recent Photos area.. Click on your photo to see it full size. The Web address (URL) for the photo page will remain the same, so if you bookmark the page, it will be easy to return and read the comments. You can also find your photos by entering your member name into the search box. The search tool will find all the text associated with the photo (member name, title and caption).

• akarinz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Lucy. I added the picture to the photogallery, under container plants. I forgot to add the board's name, but obviously it is under my user name, "akarinz". I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks again!
    Karin

• lucy
    16 years ago

Hi, unless there is green under the bark higher up after you make a scratch (what's already de-barked is not going to tell you anything) but I have a feeling it's long gone. When bark comes off by itself (and it's not because it naturally flakes/peels by nature when otherwise healthy) plants are usually dead.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner