Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
4 Year Old Bonsai

Posted by SPP123 none (My Page) on
Fri, May 24, 13 at 14:22

Hiya Everyone,
Just bought a 4 year old Juniper Bonsai, and am pretty excited to get started making it my own. Problem is, I have absolutely no idea how to do so. I've read blogs/forums/etc., but due to its age (and my naivety) I am concerned as to how much I can really alter its shape, without damaging the tree. For example, how big is too big to cut off branches, how many can I cut at once, can larger branches be shaped with wire, what is considered a large branch, etc.
I'm also in Toronto so am concerned about keeping it inside vs. outside as the temperatures can get pretty harsh in the winter (half of the year...) and don't want to shock it by taking it in an out. Any advice to what I can do right off the bat would be great!!
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 4 Year Old Bonsai

Hi!

All I want to comment on is that you should keep that tree outdoors year round, Junipers need the cold.

o
RE: 4 Year Old Bonsai

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 16:47

There is no substitute for an understanding of how plants work, and a sense of how to best work with their natural rhythms, instead of having their natural rhythms working against you. What you can/can't do, how much you can cut off, and how much stress you can safely subject a tree to depends on a number of factors. The trees species, its state of vitality and whether or not it's declining or building strength, the amount of genetic vigor the species is endowed with, where the tree is in its growth cycle, how long it's been since other work that might factor into what you intend to do has been completed .......

Work that might be taken in stride by a healthy tree might be fatal to a tree in steep decline. Some trees can be reduced from 6-10 ft tall to a 1" stump with no branches, others balk at having a significant % of its mass removed at one sitting.

How about posting a picture of your tree?

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here