Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
removing lime deposits from glazed pots- mark in va. et al.

Posted by arbo_retum z5 ,WinchstrMA (My Page) on
Thu, May 24, 07 at 14:39

i don't know what a 'bonsai pot' is, but i am trying to clean heavy lime deposite off GLAZED asian pots that I use for water fountains. Boiling vinegar works o.k. but not great. won't muriatic or other acids-phosphoric, hydrochloric, sulfuric, remove the glaze?
thanks for your help if you see this
Mindy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: removing lime deposits from glazed pots- mark in va. et al.

Sorry, don't know what to tell you... maybe someone else will. Oh, just thought of something - have you tried CLR? It's sold (in Canada, anyhow) all over for lime (and rust) deposits and is supposed to be safe on porcelain sinks.

o

• Posted by barebum z8b Spring, Tx (My Page) on
    Thu, May 24, 07 at 22:29

You might try white vinegar.

o

I would use CLR or Lime away. I think it would have to soak for a LONG time before it would harm the glaze. Most glazes fired in a kiln are quite sturdy.

o

tanyag is right about most glazes being fairly sturdy but what makes a big difference is wheher its a high fire glaze or a low fire glaze. one way you can usually tell the difference is the color of the clay. the picture below shows three different types of clay. the red on the left is earthenware it cannot be high fired so any glaze you see on this colored clay will be low fire glaze. the other two are the same type of clay stoneware. as you can see there are two different color tones the middle picture is high fired while the right picture is done at a low fire. as you can see the high fire has a darker almost gritty look to it aposed to the clean white of the low fire piece. the only time you will find high fire pieces that are white is if they are porcelain and if that is the case you will have payed almost double the money and it should have been marked as such. that being said high fire glaze will hold up to far greater punishment then low fire because it is set at temperatures of 2000 deg plus so there is very little you can do to damage it. i hope this helps.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here