Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
loosing leaves

Posted by oldale (My Page) on
Thu, May 24, 07 at 15:00

Hi I have just purchased a ficus bonsia, and I am very upset to see it loosing leaves. they are not turning yellow, but when they have dropped off the tree the stalk where it has dropped off is black. The tree is inside and I have had the tree for 3 weeks now, it has only just started happedning, can anyone give me some advice please? does it need to be outside? am I watering it wrong? or will it settle down when it is used to its new position? thanks Paula

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: loosing leaves

Hard to know how you're watering (you didn't explain), but blackness usually means rotting somewhere, which usually means way too much water or a fungus that existed previously. Take it out of the pot and cut away any roots that are mushy. Repot into a fast draining with lots of grit (perlite, small aquarium gravel) in it - no shards or anything on the bottom though - and water only when a lot of the mix has dried out unless leaves actually droop (after a drying out time). After repotting, use a house plant fungicide with the first watering. Keep it in the most sun you have, don't let the pot ever sit in drain water, but do keep a wide saucer of stones and water underneath, with water not reaching the pot, as it does need humidity (and spraying doesn't work!).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here