Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Boxwood Bonsai Half Dead, I don't like this

Posted by bonsai_ben (My Page) on
Fri, May 22, 09 at 15:06

Hello,

I have been the proud owner of a cute little boxwood for almost 4 years now, and it has always been very hardy. Over the winter time this year, it was too close to a window and resulted in losing all of it's leaves... I kept it warmer and payed close attention to watering, and now the branches on one side of the tree are growing very strongly, however the other half of the tree is quite dead.

Is there any way to encourage the tree to start growing new branches off the dead side? I'm quite amateur at caring for a bonsai properly, but I try my best, and I really like this little guy!

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

A picture can be seen at www.the20gigapology.com/tree.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Boxwood Bonsai Half Dead, I don't like this

You've probably got back all you're gonna get. Most Boxwood are hardy evergreen and unless grown in a tropical climate (sometimes) when you lose the leaves they won't recover. From the look of the tree I'd say you were just keeping it alive and it wasn't really growing well.
I don't know where you live but if the tree was northern hardy it shouldn't have been kept inside all year long but allowed to go dormant in the winter.
I would say it slowly went downhill over the years till you 'toasted' it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here