Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I repot tangerine?

Posted by mamasas MD 7 (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 12 at 15:08

I just recieved a tangerine bonsai and am wondering if I should repot and root prune now. The soil is not draining as well as I think it should and actually has a root "elbow" sticking up out of the soil. Also when I look under the pot I can see nothing but roots through the bottom holes, but not sticking out, despite lack of screen. I would be repotting in the gritty mix. It is about a foot tall and looks otherwise healthy. It has a few pencil eraser sized fruit but no blooms.

Should I repot and prune now or soon or next year? If I do repot I read to put in a shaded area for two weeks, but when do I fertilize again?

Thanks so much, Megan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I repot tangerine?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, May 13, 12 at 8:14

How about a picture? You should be able to repot and correct wayward roots now without problems related to timing, even though 2 months earlier might have been better.

Al

o
RE: Should I repot tangerine?

picture of roots on bottom

Here is a link that might be useful: roots

o
another picture

picture of "elbow" and soil

Here is a link that might be useful: soil

o
Third picture

last picture. Sorry I had to use three different posts to get in the pics but I could not figure out how else to do it. And no, you can not have the half eaten cookie on the counter.

I have kept him inside due to crappy Baltimore weather lately. He has two lamps, a humidity tray and a humidifier. He has not lost any leaves. I use FP and protekt(sp?). I have had him for about 3 weeks. His little fruit seem to be growing just a tad. No new leaves.

Thanks so much for your reply, Al. Hope the pics help.

Here is a link that might be useful: picture of whole plant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here