Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scenter_gw

Anti-Serissa Snobs

scenter
16 years ago

I went to a BYOT* Bonsai workshop this past weekend, I brought three plants to work on:

A Juniperus procumbens 'Nana'

A Juniperus compressus 'Compacta'

and

A Serissa Foetida (Pink flowering)

I got looked at as though I was from Pluto, and had three heads, for daring to bring a Serissa. (Not from everyone there, but enough disturbance to feel uncomfortable)

Prior to this, I had no idea that there were so many people that disdained Serissa. Yes, I had looked into Serissa care, and I know it is finicky, but when I saw one back in February, it melted my heart with all those little pink blossoms, so I bought is as a Potensai (no, it is not a mallsai). Of course, when I got it home, it went and dropped about half its leaves, and all its blossoms. Then it stopped pouting, and since I moved it outside in April, it's been thriving, and is blooming again. (Time will tell if it likes my autumn/winter care)

After the workshop experience, I googled and found a widespread dislike for Serissa on the web. - yikes. Its only a plant folks.

Needless to say, in the workshop, I started working on making the 'Nana' into a cascade style, and the 'Compressa' into a sokan chokkan (twin trunk formal upright). I brought the Serissa home untouched.

Anyone else had this type of experience with Serissa, or another species?

*Bring Your Own Tree

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm