Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anti-Serissa Snobs

Posted by scenter 7 GA (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 07 at 16:54

I went to a BYOT* Bonsai workshop this past weekend, I brought three plants to work on:

A Juniperus procumbens 'Nana'
A Juniperus compressus 'Compacta'
and
A Serissa Foetida (Pink flowering)

I got looked at as though I was from Pluto, and had three heads, for daring to bring a Serissa. (Not from everyone there, but enough disturbance to feel uncomfortable)

Prior to this, I had no idea that there were so many people that disdained Serissa. Yes, I had looked into Serissa care, and I know it is finicky, but when I saw one back in February, it melted my heart with all those little pink blossoms, so I bought is as a Potensai (no, it is not a mallsai). Of course, when I got it home, it went and dropped about half its leaves, and all its blossoms. Then it stopped pouting, and since I moved it outside in April, it's been thriving, and is blooming again. (Time will tell if it likes my autumn/winter care)

After the workshop experience, I googled and found a widespread dislike for Serissa on the web. - yikes. Its only a plant folks.

Needless to say, in the workshop, I started working on making the 'Nana' into a cascade style, and the 'Compressa' into a sokan chokkan (twin trunk formal upright). I brought the Serissa home untouched.

Anyone else had this type of experience with Serissa, or another species?

*Bring Your Own Tree

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anti-Serissa Snobs

You are one of the lucky ones (or instinctively sensitive ones) because for whatever reason, people do have bad luck with them, either by overdoing the care, underdoing it, or just plain ignorance and bad luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here