Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First nursery stock: Pieris Japonica Variegata

Posted by kylezo NapaCAZone9 (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 07 at 16:55

Hello everyone.

I purchased my first plant intended for bonsai from a local nursery yesterday. It is my first nursery plant and I am not sure what to do next. I have taken off SOME branches from the underbelly to help expose the tree's shape better but nothing major - not to mention 4 inches of dirt and plastic pot to expose some nice movement and nebari.

Can anyone guide me with some suggestions? This poor plant is very rootbound - by the time I got the 4 inches of dirt off the top I was left with a sdense mass of feeder roots. I am not sure whether I will put it in a bonsai pot yet.

I haven't even lifted it out of the pot to check out the roots - I figure if I am going to repot it I am also going to cut back the roots and the foliage instead of just moving it to another big pot - might just as well leave it where it is.

Here are the pictures:

pieris japonica variegata

pieris japonica variegata

trunk movement:

Trunk movement

trunk movement

branching structure:

Branches

nebari:

Surface roots

Thank you everyone!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First nursery stock: Pieris Japonica Variegata

Hi, very nice starter! Pieris make good bonsai too. Don't cut any more from underneath though, because it's the lower branches (often called sacrifices for this reason) that help fatten the trunk, and once you've grown out and trained your tree over time (years often) to a more or less final design, you can always cut them (or even just one you've left) off then if they don't fit in. I suggest that you put it straight into the ground for the season now, and then in November move it into a large but somewhat shallower pot til the spring. When you do move it (I say Nov. because hopefully it should be dormant by then, but maybe Dec.'s better where you are) try to break up the bottom third of the rootball some to spread it out, and put a tile or slate under it so it will no longer grow downward, but out. Next (early) spring, cut off old hardened and probably circling roots, spread the remaining (half?) of the ball some more and then let it continue to grow in the same pot (replace lost soil with a gritty, non-peaty mix to which you could add some bark mulch). If you want to take off individual branches to open it out a bit, get an idea where you want to go with design, do it late next winter, shortly before root pruning.

o
A little more on the pieris

I also think that by the third year you can move it into a bonsai pot if a nice pad of young feeder roots has develop under the trunk, and of course along the way you can also (late spring is good) trim twiggy foliage to help get some shape into it.

o

• Posted by kylezo NapaCAZone9 (My Page) on
    Mon, May 14, 07 at 23:37

Lucy, I recieved a suggestion similar to yours in another forum. He suggested that I slip-pot it into a larger pot and let it grow wild till winter, then aggressively root prune it and plant it in the ground or a training pot with a tile to create some nebari, and then move it to a bonsai pot the next winter, or at least begin styling.

It's looking like a pretty open and shut case so far! Any other ideas or suggestions?

o

Yes - relax and let it grow at whatever pace it chooses. Get some more trees to fuss with, but keep it to a dull roar as you can fuss them too much. Been there, done that and payed for it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here