Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardener_guy

Please critique my Cotoneaster

gardener_guy
13 years ago

Hi,

This tree is a Cotoneaster apiculatus. I bought it yesterday and styled it today. Please critique my tree and pot as if it were on show. I did not place its table or setting.

Thanks,

Gardener Guy

{{gwi:9813}}

Comments (5)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

It's difficult to see what you've got going on as far as branch placement from just the single picture. At first glance, it appears that you have some heavy branches near the top of the plant that need attention - cutting back hard so the lower branches can catch up. The main branch or secondary trunk keeps drawing my eye, and I had to think for a while before I realized it looks like it can't decide if it wants to be a branch or a second trunk. I think your intent is to have it serve as a branch because you're wiring it down. You might want to cut a piece of very heavy wire or a stick and wedge it between the main trunk and the primary branch to reduce the angle at which it leaves the trunk and lower the branch. This will help with the illusion of age because old branches grow that way.

I know you probably want it to look like a bonsai today, but I would take a close look at how thick the branches are and prune them back accordingly. I would allow any thin branches on the lower 1/3 of the tree to grow freely and cut back or remove (if appropriate) any heavy branches on the upper 1/3. Some sinuous or undulating movement in the branches would be nice for now, but after you get the branches the right thickness you'll (probably) be cutting them back to stubs - both to add taper and to begin the fine ramification. The branches are very long as they are now.

Of course, YMMV

Very nice. Looks like it's going to be a fun project, and it offers the promise of a very nice tree not too far down the road. Good job!

I lead a workshop using cotoneaster 2 years ago and there was 1 plant left over that no one wanted, so I kept it and chopped it back, so it's very formative yet - just repotted into a training pot; but I'll look at it and see if a picture would be worth posting.

Have fun - good luck!

Al

• gardener_guy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Al. Great advice. I thinking this tree is one of my best yet. Here is a picture of the tree from above looking down so you can see the branching habit. I know that 2D is not a great way to view bonsai. This tree is much more captivating in real life.

Gardener Guy

{{gwi:9829}}

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Let's give the proper Thread a bump...

Here's my critique...It looks good so far! ;)
    And that pot is cool, too. Al has some great advice.

One of my gardening buddies has a Cotoneaster...
    I took a picture the other day, since it's blooming.
    He hit it with the pressure washer the day before....
    so the old top-dressing was blasted away.

{{gwi:9830}}

Josh

• gardener_guy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The other day I woke up to see the tree in the basement well 15 feet below the deck. The night before it was sitting on the deck banister just fine. I guess some crazy animal stopped by during the night

The tree was OK. The pot, however, is gone forever. I am not mad or upset just sad for the loss. So now the tree is in a blue bonsai pot until I find the right one again.

Thanks,

Gardener Guy

• antm0
    13 years ago

In my opinion.. I think it is off to a great start. Main branching looks proportionate to me... If I were going to critique at all, I would want to see it a year from now. Great tree, and have fun!

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks