Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gaes123

Red spidermites on my Bonsai =(

gaes123
15 years ago

Hi

I have recently bought a bonsai tree, I have had it for a week, and the night I got it i noticed some little spider like things on the soil, I didn't really think anything of them, but all week I have been doing lots of research and I was just reading about the pests that bonsai's get, and then I remembered I saw those red things, so I just guessed they are red spider mites?! I have been looking at it for ages everyday and the leaves aren't looking too great, all nibbled and have little holes in. I haven't actually seen anything on the leaves, and I have looked underneath a few of the leaves and I couldn't actually see anything...I'm just wondering how to get rid of them. Oh there was also a thin little web on it, but i just brushed it off and thought nothing of it! I am really concerned about it because I obviously dont want it to die, I hope someone has some suggestions.

Also, tonight I saw some really little, tiny tiny tiny wriggly wormy things, they are white, and I saw 4 of them and killed them. Are they a problem at all?

I hope someone can help me!! I'm all worried about it!!

Thanks very much

Comments (3)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    15 years ago

Tell us more! What sort of plant, and what sort of soil is it in?

Gently spray the leaves off, if you can. Then, you'll most likely have to deal with the soil. But we need to know more first.

Josh

• gaes123
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It is a Privet. I'm not sure what soil the shop used. I will upload a photo if I can, if that would help?

Cheers

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    15 years ago

Yes, that would help quite a bit. A good photo of the pot and the soil consistency would be great. I don't know much about privets, other than the ones in the back yard...but I'm sure your species is different.

I've been told that spider mites are hard to see...so, if you're seeing something easily it might be a different pest...or, it might even be beneficial.

The wormy things sound bad...or at least gross. Get rid of them whenever they appear. Most likely, the soil needs to be replaced.

Also, where is the plant?
    If you can put the plant outside in an appropriate location, some of the pest problems will probably disappear.

Josh

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022