Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bosai ....Torrey Pine??

Posted by pamstar z 10 Ca (My Page) on
Mon, May 12, 08 at 17:31

I am a total novice when it comes to bonsai. I have always wanted to grow one tho. I just recieved a very small Torrey pine (3")from a friend that was found growing under the mother tree. Would this make a good specimen for a bonsai? It has only been uprooted form it's home and in a pot for 3 or 4 days before it was given to me.
Thank you for your help.
Sincerely Pam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bosai ....Torrey Pine??

Hi - I think it'll make a terrific bonsai if taken care of properly. Your question is the wrong one (sorry), because chances of its living may be remote. The right question is how to take care of it now - it's not a house plant, shouldn't be in a pot and probably should have been left where it was for a couple of years at least. Can you replace it where it was found, or at least under another pine in a simlar situation? Pines are not easy even in the right circumstances, and you haven't had excellent hands-on advice about what to do already, let us know.

o

How much root does it have, and how big of a pot?

Josh

o

To answer your questions ...No Lucy I cannot replace it where it was found. If it makes you feel any better there were 2 seedlings close togeather so he took one, this person lives in a much more inland area than me so the chances of survival were pretty dismal, so thats why he gave it to me :)... I do have a huge Norfolk Island pine in my front yard which I can place it under for similar growing conditions Great idea!. I was worried about the soil the person who gave it to me used to pot it up I really don't want to disturb it again, so I will add some regular good dirt to the pot, and mix it into whats there.I did give it a shot of B-1 to help with the transplant shock.

Greenman the root is about 6 " long and he told me he didn't get it all which doesnt surprise me since I read that even small Torreys have very long tap roots.
Any help is much appreciated!
Thank-you Pam

o
RE: Bosai ....Torrey Pine pot size

Hi Greenman, I forgot to tell you it is in about 5" of soil ...8" wide clay pot. Do you think I need to go bigger/ deeper?
Thank you for your help!
Pam

o

Um, regular 'good dirt' is not good for pines, gritty, sandy stuff is - anything fast draining rather than too 'nutritious' as you'd use for veggies, etc., is best, but if your NIP has relatively surface roots, the pines roots will quickly become enmeshed, and you could have a problem.

o

Ok Lucy I can put some sand it with the fast draining potting soil the person who gave it to me planted it in, since I really don't want to disturb the roots any more.
Thanks for the input!
Pam

o

I agree with you, Pam, let those roots recover.
In the meantime, add that extra grit - particles about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch.
If you use sand, use big sand.

I hope it survives!

Josh

o

Ok Thanks Josh will do on the sand... and just keep it in the same pot and keep a close eye on it and hope for the best.
I will let you know if it survives!

Thanks again!
Pam

o

What nobody has mentioned here is that a Torrey is NOT a good candidate for bonsai. It sends down a LONG taproot (which,of course, doesn't work in a bonsai pot). Other pines are better choices (Japanese Black, White, etc.).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here