Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My tree fell out of it's pot

Posted by ryan_tree 7a VA (thebonsaiguy1993@yahoo.com) on
Thu, May 6, 10 at 18:11

Okay so I fell so much like a beginner for asking this, but one of my Elms fell out of its pot today. I had it in a greenhouse, which I thought was secure, when a strong wind gust came and knocked the grenhouse over. Everything inside the greenhouse fell out of it's pot, so I shouldn't have sai just my elm. But, the elm is the one I am most concerned about. I had just chopped it about a month ago and it was supposed to be recovering.

Anyway, I found the trees lying half in their pots, half out on the ground. I saw the rootball of my elm and it actually looked nice. A lot of white roots had formed and looked good. I quickly gathered all the soil I could and put it back into the pot with the elm.

Long story short, do you think my elm will live?

Thanks!!

Ryan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My tree fell out of it's pot

Unless you were really clumsy and broke all the new roots, or unless it had really dried out but you didn't water after repotting, then I imagine it should be ok.

o

Thanks larke! I think that will live, but my Bald Cypress is probably toast.

o

Don't give up on anything! At least give it a chance - lots of water (for the BC) and lots of sun. And let us know if it makes it.

o

Well the when I was potting the Baldie back up, I looked at the roots and it appeared that there were SOME white tips, so that's a good sign. Also, a few of the few branches that were on the BC were broke. But, I did see green underneath those branches, so that will hopefully still be somewhat alive. There are only about 5 small branches on the tree, however. Thanks!

Ryan

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sat, May 8, 10 at 9:27

Roots don't all die at the same time. They die incrementally with the finest roots succumbing to adverse cultural conditions first. Over-fertilizing, drought stress, over-watering, heat/cold ...... all take the finest roots first. Even if tertiary and secondary roots die, there is still a possibility that the primary transport roots will break back with fine rootage, so don't give up. Essentially, you have a large cutting that already has SOME roots, though they will be inefficient at uptake of water and nutrients for a time

You really don't want to keep the plant too wet. A damp, rather than a wet soil facilitates water uptake, while protection from wind (tenting would be good, too) and direct sun to slow transpiration so the plant can more easily remain hydrated is a wise course.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here