Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azrandy

Satsuki Bonzai and the Arizona Climate

azrandy
15 years ago

I recently came into possession of a Satsuki Bonzai. According to the few instructions that came with the plant, it mentions that this particular variety of bonzai is to be kept outside in "morning sun with filtered afternoon sunshine." I live in Glendale, Arizona. Currently (3:30 PM [Mountain Standard Time]) the outside temperature on the patio where the satsuki bonzai is located is 93.4 F. By the time summer rolls around the average mid-day temperature will climb to 112 F. At night, the temperature will cool down to the high 90's. My house faces East and my backyard patio has a West exposure and therefore is situated in such a manner that the bonzai doesn't receive morning sunlight. It's not until later in the afternoon that the plant, if I allowed it, would have exposure to direct sunlight. This is my question - is it safe to keep the plant outside on my back patio protected from direct afternoon sunlight, but still exposed to 100+ degree temps? If not, would the plant survive inside my home where the average summer time temperature is approximately 80 F degrees? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments (2)