Return to the Bonsai Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
repotting

Posted by xxbodhixx Zone7 TX (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 07 at 18:37

I dug up a Yaupon Holly (vomitoria)a couple of months ago and put it in a growing box. The tree is doing well, but not thriving. I kept it in mostly shade for the first month, and have kept it in semi-shade for the last month.

I did not put it in the grow box with bonsai soil, I just put the root ball and native dirt (from the hole) into the box. It is rich dirt (nearly black, humis-like) but does not drain well and I have to water for a long time to get water to soak into the soil.

The temperatures here are only climbing into the upper 70s and mid 80s. Is it unwise to repot now with bonsai soil? Should I dunk the whole box and soak? Is it too early to expect the tree to thrive?

Thanks for your help.

Terry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: repotting

I would change the soil to bonsai soil. The roots will grow better. That soil will not drain well enough and you may end up with problems with rot. I have one too that I am getting ready to repot and root prune. I pruned foliage about two months ago and it has already filled out again nicely. It is outside and my stupid dachshund likes to nibble on it. I am waiting for her to get the vomitoria and learn her lesson, but it hasn't happened yet. =0)

o

I brought a (Nursery Purchased)Yaupon Holly to a Bonsai workshop with Tom Nagatoshi on April 21. He pruned it back from a full bush to one Z-shaped trunk with a tuft of leaves, and said "You will remember me from this" (of course..yikes my full plant is now a stick :-) he also did the same thing to a rhododendron I brought!). He said not to worry Yaupon Hollies (and Rhododendrons) will back bud all along the trunk, and then I can pick out my main branches from them.

Well, it's still green, and the pruning scars have dried, but no new buds yet, probably just our cooler spring. The Rhododendron is showing new buds, so I'm still waiting on the Holly. Has your spring been cooler than usual too?

o

Thanks for the input and encouragement. Yes, our spring is cooler and wetter than we are used to. It has been nice. Maybe it will last and my repot will be acclimated before our typical 100+ degree summers.

Terry

o

Oops...that should have been Roy Nagatoshi in my previous post.

Anyway, the Yaupon Holly has now sprouted, as Roy promised, all along the trunk and the longest sprout is about 0.5" long. So it took about 1 month to 'sulk and recover' from the drastic pruning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bonsai Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here