Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keg222

A real bonsai growing 'wild' what to do?

KEG222
11 years ago

Hi, I am new to this but have collected a few trees after buying 2 juniper bonsai trees that were dead when I bought them. So I have no experience. I was at the lake this weekend & we saw a small juniper looking tree that looked like it might have been chopped or broke by the wind many yrs ago because it is under 2 feet tall and has a thick old looking trunk & my friend moved the pine straw around it & you can see the roots at the base & it was slightly bending when he wiggled the trunk. Well, I took a couple of pictures of it (dont know how to post one on here) but it looks just like a bonsai tree sitting there on the side of a dirt road & we flagged the tree to later collect. Has anyone ever seen a real bonsai tree growing wild like this already small & old? How do I safely remove it from the ground? Do i just plant it in a big pot or a little bonsai tray? This is a beautiful tree & I rather just leave it than kill it but i sure would love to be able to look at it and take good care of it. And I just need to know how to start with the root trimming & all that. If anybody knows of a book or anything about something like this, I really want this tree & want to do everything right and not kill it. Also, how do you know what size the little pots to buy? I have 2 that are 6" x 4.5" & is there something I can put in that size? I just really do not understand how you get all the roots of a tree to fit in that size of a pot & do you put soil then the tree then fill with soil like a regular house plant? I'm so sorry this is so long I just have so many questions & have researched but can't find everything I need. Thank you, Kate

Comments (5)